Saturday, February 26, 2011

All the Aunt Anns in the World

I'm sure some of you have noticed I haven't posted anything in quite some time. Three weeks ago, in the beginning of February, I received a call from my family in Illinois. They called to let us know that my great-aunt had been admitted to the hospital for pain and now had kidney failure. She didn't have much longer to live. My family and I stopped whatever we were doing, packed up everything, and drove seventeen hours away to be with her in the hospital. When we arrived two days later, we spent the entire night in the hospital with her. She passed away the next morning. Her long battle with Colon cancer had ended.


The next two weeks threw my family into a whirlwind of grief and overwhelming planning as we prepared her celebration of life ceremony.


My great-aunt was an amazing woman. I longed to write a post on her life, a memorial if you will.Being in Illinois, however, I had no access to wi-fi. So that desire seemed out of the question at the moment.


In life, one realizes that while every person is unique and touches lives in a certain way, there is a special group of people that are so rare, so extraordinary, and selfless, who touch lives in such a profound way that the legacy they leave behind proves how much of a gem that person is. My great-aunt was one of those people.  I feel like the sacrifices she made for those she loved and the courage she displayed are worthy of attention. For in her actions there is a profound lesson for each of us that we can carry.


I know that each of us have encountered at least one person in that special group I talked about. I want to hear from you. Leave a commenting telling who that person is and the kind of legacy they left behind. Let's a raise a tribute to all the "Aunt Ann s" in the world. 

1 comment:

  1. I would have to say that my "Aunt Ann" is Tammi Eidem. She took care of Papa like he was her dad, even though he wasn't. It takes a rare kind of lady and a rare kind of couple to do that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis