Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Battle of Secessionville

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I had intended on posting about one of my Saturday adventures the second I got home. Instead, I ended up raiding my medicine cabinet in a desperate search for some cough and sinus syrup.


Since this is my first official day back at the computer, I've decided to go ahead and share my weekend with you. Last Saturday, in the wee hours of the morning, my two friends, my sister, and I set out for a thirty minute drive to Boone Hall Plantation so we could experience the reenactment of the Battle of Secessionville. This Civil War battle took place in James Island, a few miles away from Charleston.
Shops lined along Avenue of the Oakes


We had a blast! At the reenactment we found all kinds of sutlers lined along the Avenue of Oakes, selling historical reproductions of women's and men's clothing, hardtack, tents, guns, candles, camp ware, dutch ovens, fans, jewelry, and so much more. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly (well, I might have enjoyed myself more if someone hadn't stopped me from buying some more research books).


Encampment
Solider encampment
Next, we ventured into the camps. Since this reenactment is a three day event, most of the re-enactors actually camp out in their nineteenth-century tents for the three days, cooking their own meals in dutch ovens and preserved meat. We found the re-enactors eager to talk to us and answer any questions we had. Again, we enjoyed ourselves very much--until we realized we were talking to Yankees. ;)
Gullah Theater


After that, I was desperate to catch a ladies dress and quilting presentation. Fifteen minutes into searching for it, I finally gave up and joined my friends in exploring the historic slave cabins preserved on the plantation grounds. Once we completed our exploration, we made our way over to the Gullah theater, where a very knowledgeable woman gave a presentation on the Gullah culture.


And then it was time for the moment we all awaited. The Battle of Secessionville. Loud gun fire, powdered gun smoke, and canon blasts, filled the next hour. We met some very friendly folks and learned some more about reenacting.



Then it was time to head on home. But we all decided that next year we are going to dress up in historical clothing so that we may be granted entrance into the grand ball.


Since I have so many pics, I'll post a few more tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis