Monday, September 6, 2010

Belated Fourth of July

In July, I became a little busy and forgot to post some pictures from my celebration. I thought I'd go ahead and share them. I know, two months is a little slack, but . . better late than never, right?


This fourth, I decided to do something I've never done before. I attended a Revolutionary War re-enactment held by a plantation in my area. I found it to be very enlightening.


The division leader at the re-enactment spoke to visitors, and told us about the weapons the troops would have used, and also debunked some common myths about the war. He also educated us about the the less-known division of troops in the Charleston area that played a major role in helping turn the war around.


Middleton Place, the plantation that held the re-enactment, was once the home of Henry Middleton, President of the First Continental Congress.  His son, Arthur Middleton, a signer of the Declaration and delegate of the Second Continental Congress, also lived in this house. In fact, Arthur Middleton faced dire consequences for signing the Declaration. The British captured him and held him in Britain for a number of years.


The part I loved most about the re-enactment, was the reading of the Declaration of Independence. I believe the Declaration is one of the most powerful documents in American history. I love this document, and admire Thomas Jefferson's talent in writing. The words he uses in the Declaration are vivid, and capture the heart of the American spirit.


Okay, enough of the history lesson, right? Here are some of the pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis