Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Are Christian Romance Novels Harmful? Forum Discussion

While I usually try to post something spiritual about once a week, this time I've decided to do something different. Instead of writing something, I'd like to get your personal opinion on an issue.

During Bible study last night, the question came up on whether romance novels (Christian) are harmful.  One person flat out said Chrisitan romance novels cause people to sin and force sexual thoughts into people's minds. Another asked if romance novels can paint an unhealthy and unrelatistic picture of what true love looks like.

Since I write historical romance, I obviously took the side of the debate that said romance novels in themselves are not sinful. It's true that anything can cause anyone to sin, but to point to romance novels as a stumbling block is to cast blame on the wrong person. Of course, the question about whether those same novels are harmful or not, may be something different. 

As a single woman, I do sometimes feel like romance novels portray a relationship between two people that moves faster than I would ever long for in my own relationships. Then again, I'm very aware of the fact that I'm reading fiction--and fiction is not meant to portray reality as it is. I also see that sometimes a non-Christian and Christian begin to form a relationship, and I know that in real-life, as a single woman, that screams "Danger."

Yet, at the same time, I've learned a great deal about true love from romance novels.

I'd really love to hear your thoughts on this. If you'd like to share your opinion, then stop by the forum and look under the thread titled "Are Christian Romance Novels Harmful?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis